Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Recipe of the Week: Baked Oatmeal

Another breakfast recipe! I made this recipe when some friends came in town for the weekend. I got this it from my mother-in-law who got it from a friend. It is great to make and eat on for the week.

Oatmeal Bake

3 cups of dry oatmeal
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tsp. sifted baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup canola oil
2 eggs beaten
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup coarsely chopped nuts

a) In a medium size bowl, mix together the oatmeal brown sugar, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon.

b) In another bowl, beat together the eggs, oil, milk, and vanilla.

c) Pour batter into an oiled 2 quart baking dish. Sprinkle with chopped nuts.

d) Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Spoon into cereal bowls and serve with milk.

From my experience: I used applesauce instead of the oil to attempt to make it lighter and omitted the nuts since my daughter isn't allowed to eat them yet (she is 1). You will definitely need to add milk to moisten and break up the oatmeal (you could also try yogurt), but it was super yummy, and I enjoyed making it this way. We ended up having leftovers, so breakfast was low maintenance for the next few days. When you eat if for leftovers, you can vary the flavor by adding different things to it. I added different nuts, dried cranberries one day, then a chopped apple the next, it was great! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment