Thursday, September 2, 2010

Recipe of the Week: Meat and Potato Loaves

So I know this may be hard to believe, but I had never made meatloaf and wanted to give it a try. I found many different variations of the recipe, but one stuck out to me because it was unique and more importantly I had all of the ingredients which saved me from going back to the grocery store; love when that happens!

Meat and Potato Loaves
serves 4

1 egg beaten
1/3 cup fine dry bread crumbs
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup beef broth
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 pound ground beef
1 1/4 cups loose-pack frozen shredded hash brown potatoes; thawed
1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend (4 ounces)
3/4 cup purchased chunky salsa

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. In a large bowl, combine egg, bread crumbs, onion, broth, salt, and pepper. Add ground beef; mix well. Divide beef mixture into four portions.

2. In a medium bowl, combine potatoes, 1/2 cup of the cheese, and 1/4 cup of the salsa; set aside.

3. On a sheet of foil, pat eat portion of the beef mixture into a 5-inch square. Place one-fourth of the potato mixture down the center of each square, leaving about a 1-inch border on each side. Shape beef mixture around potato mixture, pressing to seal. Place loaves, seam sides down, in an ungreased 9x13-inch baking pan of baking dish.

4. Bake, uncovered, about 30 minutes or until done (160 F). Top with the remaining 1/2 cup salsa and the remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake for 5 minutes more.

recipe found in Better Homes and Garden 9x13 The Pan That Can


From My Experience:

I tried to simplify this recipe by eliminating dishes. I made the meat mixture in a large bowl, then rinsed it once the loaves were formed on the foil, and reused it for the potato mixture. The foil I had already wrapped on a baking sheet, so once the loaves were ready, I just popped them in the oven. I also didn't want to open a can of beef broth only to use 1/4 cup, so I used water instead. The meatloaves turned out excellent. They tasted great and were a different twist on a traditional recipe. My husband loves salsa so I knew he would like this recipe however I was greatly surprised when he gave me his opinion; he said, "This might be the best meatloaf I have ever eaten!" Well that was the best compliment a chef could receive from her husband. The meatloaves were easy and fun to assemble. I will definitely make them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment