Saturday, September 11, 2010

Recipe of the Week: Tex-Mex Lasagna

I was given this lasagna recipe and a sampling from my neighbors after I had Sloane. It was so yummy that I have been wanting to make it on my own. Well another friend thought the recipe sounded delicious as well, so we decided to make lasagnas a plenty to share with others.

I'm not sure from which cookbook or magazine it was printed, however it is a Paula Deen creation and she never disappoints me!

Tex-Mex Lasagna
makes 12 servings

* 1 (15 oz.) can plus 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
* 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
* 1 (15.25 oz.) can corn, drained
* 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
* 1 (10 oz.) can diced tomatoes with green chiles, drained
* 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
* 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
* 2 teaspoons ground cumin
* 1 teaspoon chili powder
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 (16 oz.) container sour cream
* 1 ( 8 oz.) package of cream cheese, softened
* 6 oven-ready lasagna noodles
* 1 (8 oz.) package Monterey Jack cheese with peppers, shredded
* 1 (8 oz.) package Chedder cheese, shredded

1. In a large Dutch oven, combine tomato sauce, chicken, corn, black beans, tomatoes, bell pepper, cilantro, garlic, jalapeno, cumin, chili powder, and salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes.
2. In a medium bowl, combine sour cream and cheese.
3. Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 13x9 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.

4. Spoon 1/3 of sauce into prepared dish. Top with 3 lasagna noodles. Spread half of sour cream mixture over lasagna noodles; top with 1/3 of sauce. Sprinkle evenly with half of shredded cheeses. Top with remaining 3 lasagna noodles, remaining half of sour cream mixture, remaining 1/3 of sauce, and remaining half of shredded cheeses. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until hot and bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.


From My Experience:

My friend and I decided to make the lasagnas together and wanted to make several, so we quadrupled the recipe and made 3 each. We used low-fat sour cream and cream cheese and frozen corn. The outcome was even better than I remembered it! My husband thought it was restaurant worthy and didn't complain about eating the leftovers.
I know that all of the ingredients seem overwhelming, so I recommend doubling the recipe and making two, one for now and one for later. You wouldn't have to buy two of everything like the box of noodles or rotisserie chicken, and I think by taking the time to do a project such as this you might as well use it wisely and make another one. Also it was alot of fun making the recipe with a friend, so if you can enlist an eager participant share the experiment with another. Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment