Sunday, February 20, 2011

Recipe of the Week: Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry Buttercream Icing

I made strawberry cupcakes from scratch for my daughter's birthday party. They were so delicious, I had to share. Enjoy!

Strawberry Cupcakes
makes 34

2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cake flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
8 oz. (2 sticks) butter, softened
2 1/4 cups sugar
3 large eggs, plus 1 egg white
1 cup whole milk
1 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 cups finely chopped strawberries, plus small strawberries for garnish

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners. Whisk dry ingredients in a large bowl. Cream butter and sugar with a mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition.

2. Reduce speed to low. Mix vanilla and milk in a bowl if needed. Add dry ingredients to butter mixture in 3 additions, alternating with wet ingredients and ending with dry. Scrape sides of the bowl. Stir strawberries into batter. Divide batter among muffin cups, filling each 2/3 full.

3. Bake cupcakes about 20 minutes. Let cool in tins on wire racks. Once cool, frost tips with Strawberry Frosting.

Recipe from MarthaStewart.com


Strawberry Frosting
1/2 cup frozen strawberries, thawed
1 cup butter (2 sticks)
pinch of salt
3 1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

Process strawberries, then set aside. Beat butter and salt until smooth and fluffy. Add sugar 1/2 cup at a time and beat until well combined. Add vanilla and mix. Add 3-4 tablespoons of strawberries.

Recipe given by a friend



From my experience: These cupcakes were easy to make, but I had a disaster with the frosting. The recipe is simple, but I didn't follow the instructions thoroughly. I didn't see the last line, so I added 1/2 cup of strawberries to the mix. It was so soupy, no amount of added ingredients could undo my mistake. My husband had to go to the store and buy more supplies so I could start over. Because of my mishap, I didn't have enough time to garnish the top with anything. Below is a picture of the finished cupcake. They were awesome!



No comments:

Post a Comment