Monday, August 9, 2010

Recipe of the Week: Open-Faced Turkey Joes

Open-Faced Turkey Joes
Makes 6 servings

1 (19.5 oz.) package of Italian turkey sausage, castings removed
1 (8 oz.) package of mushrooms, quartered
1/2 green bell pepper, finely chopped
1 (15.5 oz.) jar of spaghetti sauce
1 garlic clove minced
2 Tbsp. tomato paste
1 tsp. dried onion flakes
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 (12 oz.) French bread loaf
2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup (1 oz.) shredded mozzerella cheese

1. Cook sausage in a Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring often, 10 minutes or until meat crumbles and is no longer pink; drain. Add mushrooms and bell pepper; cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, 5 minutes. Stir in next 5 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 400. Cut bread in half lengthwise. Place bread, cut side up, on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet. Bake 5-6 minutes until toasted.
3. Spoon sausage mixture onto toasted bread, and sprinkle with cheeses. Bake at 4oo for 5-7 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.

Found in Southern Living Magazine, June 2008

From my experience:
This was a recipe that I had tagged to try when I first got the magazine but then never put my plan into action until now. Last week I needed something quick and easy since we were getting ready to go to Laredo with family for a long weekend getaway. Most of the ingredients I had on hand, so this was perfect. The Turkey Joes ended up tasting more like a heavy pizza, which in my opinion beats a sloppy joe anyday. I will definitely make this again; in fact because I was only making it for two, I froze half of the turkey mix for a later date!

No comments:

Post a Comment