Sunday, August 1, 2010

Recipe of the Week: Scripture Cake

Since I love to cook and collect food magazines, cookbooks, and random recipes, I am challenging myself to actually use them. Each week I will attempt a new recipe and then blog about it. This week I chose a dessert for our small group potluck. I thought the name of the cake was fitting and as you will see each ingredient had a scripture reference which made the recipe interesting to investigate. It was found in a cookbook collaborated from the families at my mom's church in Liberty Hill.

Scripture Cake

1/2 C. butter of margarine, Judges 5:25 3/4 tsp. cinnamon, 1 Kings 10:10
1 C. sugar, Jeremiah 6:20 1/2 tsp. cloves, all spice, nutmeg
3 eggs, separated, Isaiah 10:14 1/3 C. milk, Judges 4:19
1 T. honey, Exodus 16:31 1/2 C. blanched almonds, chopped,
2 C. flour, sifted, 1 Kings 4:22 Genesis 43:11
1/2 tsp. salt, Leviticus 2:13 1/2 C. dried figs, chopped, 1 Samuel 30:12
2 tsp. baking powder, 1 Corinthians 5:6 1/2 C. raisins, chopped

Preheat oven to 35o. Cream butter. Add sugar gradually, beating until light. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each. Beat in honey. Sift together flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, all spice, and nutmeg. Add alternately with milk and beat only until smooth. Stir in nuts and fruit. Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites and pour into loaf pan (5x3) or a greased and floured 10x4 inch angel cake tube pan. Bake for 1 hour or until done. Cool cake in the pan for 5 minutes. Turn cake over to remove it from the pan. Turn cake right side up to cool.

From my experience:
I looked up all of the verses before making the cake, and found only one to be confusing since it didn't seem to relate to the particular ingredient. With that said, the concept was still intriguing and made the cake seem special since all of the ingredients were mention throughout the Bible.
For the recipe I made some switches base on what I already had in my pantry. For example I used sliced almonds instead of blanched and didn't chop them plus I used dried cranberries instead of figs. I also used half whole wheat flour and half regular baking flour and did not sift my dry ingredients. I baked my cake in a bundt pan and left it in the oven for about 5o minutes which might have been a little too long. Overall the cake had an appealing spice taste which everyone loved, however it came out dry and crumbly. If I tried using the whole wheat flour again, I would add maybe some applesauce to give it more moisture.

No comments:

Post a Comment