Monday, January 3, 2011

Recipe of the Week: Apple-Gingerbread Cobbler

The Pumpkin Crisp recipe I previously posted in the fall got alot of good reviews, so when I found a winter version I knew that I would need to try it. This recipe requires a little more effort to make, but doesn't need alot of ingredients. The main attraction is a package of gingerbread mix.


Apple-Gingerbread Cobbler

1 (14-oz.) package gingerbread mix, divided
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, divided
1/2 cup chopped pecans
2 (21-oz.) cans apple pie filling
Vanilla ice cream (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Stir together 2 cups gingerbread mix and 3/4 cup water until smooth; set mixture aside.

2. Stir together remaining gingerbread mix and brown sugar; cut in 1/4 cup butter until mixture is crumbly. Stir in pecans; set aside.

3. Combine apple pie filling and remaining 1/4 cup butter in a large saucepan, and cook, stirring often, 5 minutes over medium heat or until thoroughly heated. Spoon hot apple mixture evenly into a lightly greased 11 x 17-inch baking dish. Spoon gingerbread mixture over hot apple mixture; sprinkle with pecan mixture.

4. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until set. Serve cobbler with vanilla ice cream, if desired.

Recipe found in Southern Living 2009 Annual Recipes



From my experience: I cut some corners by omitting the stovetop heating step. Instead I put the apple pie filling into my baking dish then cut the butter and spread out the pieces laying them on top. I didn't want to dirty another dish and thought this would method would accomplish the same effect. The cobbler was great. My husband liked this one better! It has a crunchy top layer, a cake-like middle, then the pie filling on the bottom. The only thing I would do differently was my baking dish choice. I used an odd shaped casserole dish because it was prettier. I think it would taste better in a flatter dish so that you get more of the gingerbread mix with every spoonful. Try this recipe and see which you prefer.



No comments:

Post a Comment