Sunday, June 12, 2011

Recipe of the Week: Triple-Berry Smoothie

This week I didn't cook much, since my husband was gone some of the week. This was the perfect opportunity to try out a smoothie from this pamplet found in one of my Food Network magazines; it contained 50 smoothie varieties. I tried the Triple-Berry smoothie, but added some others that sounded delicious!

Triple-Berry Smoothie

Blend 1 1/2 cups mixed blackberries, strawberries, and raspberries with 1 cup each milk and ice, and sugar to taste.

From my experience: You could definitely use the frozen mixed berry bag of fruit found at any grocery story, but I had all of these fruits at home. I added some blueberries to my mix, since I only had a few blackberries and raspberries on hand. Then I added about two teaspoons of sugar. It was yummy!


Other Smoothies...
Banana
Blend 2 bananas, 1/2 cup each vanilla yogurt and milk, 2 teaspoons honey, a pinch of cinnamon and 1 cup of ice. (for Strawberry-Banana substitute one banana for 1 cup of strawberries)

Blueberry-Pear
Blend 1 1/2 cups frozen blueberries, 1 chopped pear, 1 1/2 cups each maple or plain yogurt and ice and sugar to taste. (This one interested me since I never seem to eat all of the pears I buy plus I typically have frozen blueberries in my freezer.)

Cantelope
Blend 2 cups chopped cantelope, the juice of 1/2 lime, 3 tablespoons sugar, 1/2 cup water and 1 cup ice.

Chocolate-Banana
Blend 1 banana, 1 cup chocolate ice cream, 1/2 cup milk, a pinch of salt, and 1/2 cup ice.

Creamsicle

Blend 3/4 cup frozen orange or orange-tangerine concentrate with 1/2 cup cold water and 1 cup each vanilla ice cream and ice.

Creamy Pineapple
Blend 2 cups chopped pineapple, 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 1/4 cup milk, 2 teaspoons honey, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla, a pinch each of nutmeg and salt, and 2 cups ice.

Kiwi-Strawberry
Blend 1 cup strawberries, 2 peeled kiwis, 2 tablespoons sugar, and 2 cups ice.

Peanut Butter-Apple
Blend 1 chopped peeled apple, 3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter, 2 tablespoons flax seeds, 1 1/2 cups each soy milk and ice, and honey to taste. (For the body builders out there.)

Spa Cucumber
Peel, seed, and chop 2 medium cucumbers. Blend with the juice of 1 lime, 1/2 cup water, 1 cup ice and 3 to 4 tablespoons sugar or honey.

Watermelon
Freeze 3 cups cubed seeded watermelon until hard. Blend with 1 cup cubed fresh seeded watermelon, the juice of 1 lime, 1/4 cup sugar and 1 cup water. (I have some frozen watermelon in freezer now because it was so much we just couldn't finish it. I knew I could find a good use for it later!)

Found in the April 2011 edition of the Food Network Magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment