Saturday, May 7, 2011

Recipe of the Week: Nachos

This recipe is a bonus since my other one for the week was easy. This is another easy and quick recipe from the Food Network Magazine. Every issue comes with a tear out book on 50 varieties of a particular food item, this one being nachos. We were going to a baseball game, and needed something quick and easy. After looking through the booklet, I was inspired to make nachos. I didn't really have all the ingredients to make any of the varieties published, consequently, I made my own. I started with their basic method then added what I had on hand. Here is my experience.

How to Make Nachos:
Spread 8 cups chips on a rimmed baking sheet or in a shallow dish. Add cheese and other toppings, then bake at 475 degrees in the upper third of the oven until melted, about 7 minutes.


From my experience: My inspiration came from the Tex-Mex version. I put black beans, corn, and chopped bell pepper on the chips before adding cheese. When they came out of the oven, I added some spinach leaves, then drizzled salsa over it all. It was awesome! Below I've added some versions I thought sounded appealing and fairly easy! Enjoy!

Tex-Mex: Top tortilla chips with 1 can refried beans and 3 cups shredded cheddar. Bake, then top with salsa and pickled jalapenos.

Pizza: Toss half of a thinly sliced baguette with olive oil, then spread on a baking sheet and bake until crisp, about 7 minutes. Top with 2 cups pizza sauce, 3 cups shredded mozzarella and 1/2 cup shredded parmesan. Bake, then sprinkle with chopped basil. (optional: could top with Italian sausage, sauted onion and bell pepper slices.)

Margarita Shrimp: Marinate 1/2 pound shrimp in margarita mix with a dash of cayenne; grill. Top lime-marinated chips with 1 1/2 cups each shredded white cheddar and muenster. Bake, then top with grilled shrimp, diced onion, avocado and cilantro. Top with lime juice.

Greek: Top 4 cups pita chips with 1 cup each hummus, diced cucumber, tomatoes and feta, 1/4 cup each chopped red onion and kalamata olives, some tzatziki sauce and oregano. (Do not bake.)

Apple Pie: Cook 3 cubed peeled apples in butter. Top cinnamon-sugar pita chips with the apples, warm caramel, ice cream, whipped cream and cinnamon. (Do not bake.)

No comments:

Post a Comment